Trump blocks release of memo

By , in US on .

President Donald Trump will not disclose at this time the Democratic rebuttal to the Republican intelligence memo alleging abuses of the FBI in their surveillance authority, and sent it back to the House Intelligence Committee to produce them changes

In a letter to the commission, White House lawyer Donald McGahn said: “Although the president is inclined to declassify the February 5 memorandum, because the memorandum contains numerous classified and especially sensitive passages, he can not do so in this moment”.

Trump had said earlier on Friday he planned to release the document.

“It’s going to be released soon,” Trump told reporters at the White House, adding, “We’re going to launch a letter.”

The House Intelligence Committee voted unanimously on Monday to publish the 10-page Democratic memorandum, and the rules of the commission gave Trump five days to decide whether to block or allow its release.

The memorandum from Rep. Adam Schiff of California, the commission’s top Democrat, was written to rebut the Republican memorandum published a week earlier that accuses the FBI of suppressing Democratic ties with an opposition research dossier on Trump and Russia.

Schiff and other Democrats contend that the Republican memorandum led by the House’s intelligence chief, Devin Nunes of California, is misleading and omits key facts, including that the application of the FISA law did say that the former British intelligence agent Christopher Steele, the author of the dossier was paid by a political entity.

Matthew Ujvagi

Matthew Ujvagi is the lead editor for LA News watch. Matt has written for many publications including Buzz Feed and Vanity Fair. Matt is based here in Los Angeles and covers issues affecting his city. In addition to his severe hockey addiction, Matt also enjoys Hiking in the mountains

Recommended articles